Monday, December 15, 2008

The Pre-Op Diet Week 1

I have just finished the first week of my pre-op diet. I am basically following a modified Atkins diet for 2 weeks. The good news is that I've lost 14 pounds since my first weigh in :). The bad news is that it was the week from hell. I was going through terrible withdrawals- I had headaches, nausea, a poor attitude and...diarrhea. I did not want to mention it but after looking online and talking to other people I find that it's common.

I wish someone would have told me! Someone wrote on a blog, "What goes in liquid, comes out liquid." Yeah. True. I am not sick, and I don't feel sick, but still. It won't end.

I have basically been living on meat all week. I guess if I were able to do this permanently, I would not even be talking about lap band, but obviously the Atkins diet is difficult.

I actually followed the Atkins diet religiously for a summer in high school. I lost 40 pounds, then gained it all back immediately once school started in the fall. That's what I am looking forward to most about lap band - having a solution that finally works for good. Well, I take that back. I am looking forward to not being hungry the most. I have been hungry my whole life. I am hungry right now. This time next week though, I will be far from hungry.

Tomorrow I am going to the hospital for my pre-op appointment - blood work, x-rays, ekg, etc. I will provide an update then.

3 comments:

becky said...

Thanks for sharing your authentic voice. I'm hooked. Keep us posted. You are an excellent writer. We love you!

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our little miracle cubs said...

I am very excited for you and honored that you are letting me share this journey with you. Welcome to the blog wagon...if I have to keep mine up then so do you!
Hugs,
Heather