Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ouch.


Whoever told me that the pain I would feel following surgery would be the equivalent of an intense workout must have been smoking crack as well as taking their pain meds. After I got home from surgery yesterday I was in a lot of pain. I could not sit or lay down really. I finally managed to recline a bit on the couch using the coffee table as leg support. The pain patches seem to help over my port site. The port site is the area in my abdomen where they will inject my fluid in the future to adjust the band. It's the largest incision and the sorest. The other incisions do not hurt. There are 4 incisions plus the port incision. I think what hurts the most is my back. I think it might have to do with the CO2 that they put into me to expand the working space yesterday. I was told it would collect in my shoulders and really hurt there but I think it's really in my back. The only things that alleviate the back pain are walking around the house and a heating pad.

Last night I was able to finally lay down in bed on the heating pad and get some sleep. I would only sleep for an hour at a time but I do feel somewhat rested today. I had planned on being active already and doing stuff around the house, but I am going to have to take it slower than I thought.



The other thing I am working on today is my liquids, specifically my protein supplements. I am literally full after a few sips - of protein, water, broth...anything. I can eat a popsicle but I am stuffed after 1/2. It is a very odd sensation, one that I was not sure would exist. I know it's the point of the band, but I was still skeptical. It does not feel any different from feeling full pre-band. The feeling just comes on much sooner.

1 comment:

becky said...

Way to go, Matt! We are proud of you. It will get better. We can't wait to see you. The Christmas jello is setting as we speak.
Love,
Becky