Wednesday, December 24, 2008

48 Hours Later & It's Christmas Eve!

Today has been the best day so far. I was able to sleep through the night. I got rid of the CO2 gas pains and I was able to lay on my side, like normal. Luckily the side I usually sleep on is the opposite side of my port incision so I feel no discomfort during sleep.

I woke up around 7:30 today, and had some tea, then water. We went for a car ride which was pretty rough. I was hoping not to have to take any of my anti-nausea or pain medicines today. After about 5 minutes in the car I had to take the anti-nausea medicine. At about noon I took my first shower. I took off my band-aids, shaved my face, washed my hair. It was a nice shower. I did put my patch on over my port incision after that but have not had to take my pain medicine at all today.

To celebrate me being done with the strict clear liquids only diet, Beth Ann made me a chocolate protein milkshake. It's technically a meal replacement since it has about 27 grams of protein. It took me about an hour and a half to drink one cup. It makes 3 cups. So I still have some work to do there.

After my shake, I went for a walk around the block. It took me about 15 minutes to do, but I felt a little better afterward. I feel so bloated and just gross and walking seems to be the trick.

I have enjoyed the smells of the dinner Beth Ann is making for Christmas Eve for my family. I can't have any of it, and I am still so full from my shake that I don't want any, but it is still nice to smell real food again.

Tonight we are going to church for Christmas Eve service - so it will be another test to get through the car ride. I will say now that I might stay seated during the service. I'll let everyone else get up and down and up and down.

4 comments:

aggie_bibliophile said...

Matt, I'm so proud of you. We'll miss you at B's with your comic relief. Have a fabulous Christmas.

Mere

Courtney said...

I'm praying for you Matt! And I too am sad that you missed out on a Johnson Christmas. Take care.
-courtney

becky said...

Matt,
You are doing great! Keep your positive attitude. I am enjoying your journey. The best is yet to be.
Love,
Becky

"B" said...

Congratulations on the baby!
We missed you Christmas Eve but you were with us in spirit.
We are grateful your surgery has gone terrific.
Love, B