Monday, November 10, 2008

Medical Records

So there are 2 ways to pay for lap band: insurance or cash. There are "packages" that run between $10,000-$15,000. Obviously I don't have the means to pay cash, so I have to go the insurance route. Thankfully, I have very good insurance through my employer. They do require a 5 year medical history with a BMI of 40 or more. BMI is calculated based on your height and weight. Currently I have a BMI of 43. I was very determined to get a head start on this process.

When I made my appointment at the seminar, it was a month away. This gave me time to try to obtain medical records. Thinking back, I had only been to a couple of doctors within the past 5 years. I searched the internet to get phone numbers and addresses. I also found a template online of how to submit a request for medical records. I mailed off the requests. Over the next several weeks I checked the mail every day. I became obsessed with getting the medical records. When all was said and done I was able to get records from 3 of the past 5 years, all showing a BMI of at least 40. The other two years I did not see a physician but I was able to get some records from about 6-7 years ago. I compiled everything and waited the next few days for my first consultation.

No comments: