Monday, January 5, 2009

Updates

Well it sure is hard to sit down and write when I'm not home all day recovering. I am healing quite well and am still adjusting to life with a lap band. The swelling has gone down considerably around my stomach so now there is barely any restriction. The band itself has not been inflated at all - I go in on 1/31 to get it adjusted, so my hunger/fullness changes throughout the day.

In the morning, because I have been laying down all night, I have to drink warm liquids to start the day, just to loosen things up. It gets a little better at lunch - I can usually eat with no problems. By dinner I can eat my whole serving (though it is still a much smaller serving than normal). I think by the time I am due for my adjustment at the end of the month it will be as if no band is there at all. It's kind of a process--to get to the perfect point of how filled the band is.

On Sunday morning I made some hashbrowns for breakfast, along with eggs. I still forget sometimes that I can't eat like I used to, so I could only have a few bites of each. But my last bite of hashbrowns was a doozy. I forgot to chew enough (15 times each bite) and all of the sudden I felt like I needed to burp, but couldn't. I knew what this was- I had heard about it. When you don't chew enough or when the food can't get through the band, it comes back up. It's not really throwing up - there was no heaving or wretching involved. I just sort of coughed it back up. Lesson learned.

I am going to try to go to the support group meeting tomorrow night. It's at 6:00pm downtown so getting there might be an issue, but I want to try. I would be interested to know how others are doing.

On the food front things are getting better. I can now have chicken and fish that's not from a can. So tonight we made a chicken and vegetable casserole. Yesterday I had avocado soup with crab and the day before I had baked fish with vegetables. So I am glad to finally be off of mushy foods. I am still struggling to get all of my protein in each day, although today I discovered that a hardboiled egg has 17 grams of protein. I need to get 60 in a day, so I am going to have Beth Ann make some for me. I don't know why but I can't ever make hardboiled eggs.

4 comments:

Our little miracle cubs said...

Zach has that same reaction after eating, perhaps he has a lapband that I don't know about. BTW, I'm going to start coming over for dinner....avocado soup with crab sounds awesome!

"B" said...

Matt, you are doing awesome. Just learning about the whole process is an extremely difficult task let alone live it every day. Glad to know you are well aware of all the
little details.
The avocado soup does sound delicious and appealing enough to be dessert.

becky said...

Matt,
your food sounds absolutely delicious. Your progress is amazing, especially considering it has only been two weeks. Let me know what I can make for you. I'm open to all requests.

Courtney said...

I'm sorry to hear, but understand, about the projectile-regurgitation when you don't chew your food well enough. I'm not very patient, especially when I'm hungry, so after my stomach surgery 2 years ago that was a VERY common side-effect I faced, and it's quite unpleasant. 3 months after my surgery I went to NYC (it was a highschool graduation gift), and lets just say I ruined a few cloth napkins in the big-apple! It still happens occasionally today if I don't chew well enough or start eating too quickly. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're recovery is going well. Keep updating-I love hearing about your progress. Hope all is well on the home-front. Tell BA i said hi. Miss y'all and love y'all!